Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Snip Snip

Originally written 5/6/2010

Last Wednesday, my husband and I turned the last page of a chapter in our marriage. Geoff visited the urologist and had the surgery that many men have had before him, and that closed the door on the baby making season of our relationship.
As my husband dropped his drawers and sit on the examination table with a thin papery blue sheet awkwardly covering his shaved man parts, I fell in love with him all over again. As we waited for the doctor to step in I thought about what a sacrifice Geoff was making for me. I am sure he was nervous and I knew there would be pain afterward, but he was there looped up on valium with smile on his face more than willing to undergo a scalpel slicing into his family jewels.
It also dawned on me that my husband getting a vasectomy is a milestone in our relationship… like buying a new house. It is something we knew he would do one day.. and now its done. It seems so final, and I can’t believe we are already at this point. We have been married for almost 10 years, but it really does seem like a moment ago, that I met him for the very first time, wearing my smokey the bear tee shirt and asking him who his favorite band was. It is mind boggling how fast life moves!
Geoff and I have two amazing children that we adore, but we decided they were enough for us. I affectionately refer to them as Sassy Shaylee and Wild Will. They both have enormous personalities that require a lot of attention and energy. I would often worry that adding a third Lundy lad or lass would send me to crazy-frazzled-overwhelmed-mommy-land. I am so thankful that now I don’t have to worry and I can relax and focus on our family of four. No more trips to the pharmacy to purchase overpriced pregnancy tests when mother nature decides to give me my monthly “gift” three days late.
I am a lucky woman to have the family that I have. I am excited to see what happens in the next chapter of our family story.

No comments:

Post a Comment