Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mavyn Moms and Pinup Pals: Gigi Fair


Photography by Ashley Fox Photography


1.  Tell me a little about your children (names/ages/fun facts) 

I have two beautiful boys, Tristan who is 5 and Samuel who is 2. They are absolutely the best things to ever happen in my life. They are very rambunctious and true boys through and through. They keep me very busy! I also have two wonderful dogs that I count as my children and am a single mother so there is always something happening in my house! They all complete me and make me a better person everyday. My 5 year old has loved red lipstick and nails since he was very little and doesn't quite understand why all women don't wear lipstick like mommy does. They are sweet boys and I love seeing how much they are already drawn to pin-up and rockabilly culture. 






2. How long have you been involved in the pin-up community/ taking pin-up photos? 
 I had my first professional photo shoot 2 years ago, but have always loved the pin-up lifestyle. It just took me the right life events to have to confidence to let it out!


3. How has being a pin-up affected your parenting?

 PIn-up affects my parenting by allowing me to be a better mother. I previously was in a marriage where I wasn't "allowed" to do a lot of things for me so I had to relearn what that was like. Everyone needs time to do their own thing and chase their own dreams, no matter what they have going on. I wasn't complete without it. Having the time to be dressed my best and in front of the camera is the exact opposite of my daily life. It gives me a chance to recharge and be refocused as a mother. I also think it is important to take care of yourself and as a mother its easy to not do things for yourself like get your nails done, etc. I would much rather teach my children that its okay to take care of yourself and that just because you have children DOES NOT mean you have to let yourself go! Taking care of yourself on the outside can still be good for your health. I feel much better mentally when I am put together and let me tell you how much better my day can be with just a little red lipstick. Living the pin-up lifestyle gives me reminders to take care of myself and my children as a whole, that we are all important. At the beginning of my pin-up career I really tried to keep my "pin-up" life and "real" life separate by not really talking about my children, mostly because of my divorce. I now realize how many amazing women there are in this industry and how many amazing stories/families/lives that we have and can all learn from. There is no such thing as keeping these worlds separate, although I rarely post photos of my boys on my modeling pages. My boys also love my photos and tell me regularly that I look pretty and are amazed that there are pictures of mommy in magazines. 

Photography by Ashley Fox Photography


4.  Has Pin-up brought any obstacles to your mom life?
 Pin-up has only brought positive to my life. The only obstacles I ran into were in the process of my divorce and people wanting an excuse to judge me. When I didn't let that happen everything smoothed over. There is always an obstacle of scheduling and balancing my time, but that would exist with or without pin-up. 

Taryn LIndsey Photography


5. Tell me about the photos you chose to share... why are they your favorite?
 I love all of my photos for different reasons. I try to have a theme or specific idea when I go to a shoot and I love being able to see in print the things that I've learned, so I have shared photos from different shoots to see the progression. 

Photography by Ashley Fox Photography


6. Do you have any words of wisdom to share with other pin-up moms out there, or maybe some ladies that are considering getting involved with pin-up? 
My best advice is to just stay true to you, and know that it is hard work. Like anything you will have good days and bad days. Days you feel like you can take on the world, and days you want to quit. There will always be people who try to judge you because I think there is a large confusion in our society of sexy vs slutty. They have been turned into the same thing, and I personally think a lot of our general media falls into the slutty category. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a woman embracing her sexiness and power as a woman regardless of whether she has 10 kids, or 1, a husband, or none, a size 0 or 20. Pinup is about empowering the sexy, confident, woman that you are so just be true to yourself. 


To see more from Gigi Fair, visit her facebook page, www.facebook.com/pinupgigifair, and follow her on instagram at @missgigifair

No comments:

Post a Comment