Thursday, June 27, 2013

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Today is my Grandma June's 75th birthday! This woman means so much to me. She and my grandpa co-raised me along with my mom, and a lot of who I am today comes from her. 
Here is a just a few of the things that make her so special.

#1  Grandma June has never met a stranger.  She has one of the warmest most welcoming personalities you will ever come across, and people always open up to her... people from EVERY walk of life, EVERY age, EVERY race... it is kind of amazing.

#2  She is overwhelmingly caring. Things most people wouldn't think twice about, stirs her soul until she just has to do something about it.  I remember many times growing up where she would worry about the occasional homeless man that would set up camp under the bridge close to her house. Sadly, most people would just try to ignore them and look away, but she would bring them coats with fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in one pocket and a pack of cigarettes and a $10 bill in the other pocket.  She was never even afraid to approach them.

#3  She has an unshakable faith in God, but at the same time drop an F bomb with the best of them. Which means.. she is REAL, and GENUINE.  She is who she is, and doesn't let what people's ideas of what she should say or how she should act change that.  

#4 Grandma June is one of the funniest people I have ever known. Lucille Ball kind of funny.  I remember a time that  she and I were stopped at a red light and the truck next to us had a HUGE bumper sticker that read "SHOW ME YOUR TITS."  Grandma and I giggled about it, and she motioned like she was going to pull up her top, the man driving the truck saw that, and immediately turned red with laughter, and honked at us. Grandma and I laughed so hard we couldn't breathe.

#5 She is small and petite but incredibly powerful, and unafraid. My dad was physically abusive to my mom--and much larger and stronger than my grandma--but she was never afraid to march in during a turbulent fight--and stop him from hurting my mom.

#6  She still has "great boobs for an old lady."  This is a long running joke in my family. She is proud of her God-given-bounty, and really she should be.  :)


This is just a short list of  some of the many qualities I love about my grandma. She is very dear to me, and I hope that I can impact as many people for good as she has in her life so far.  She really and truly is an amazing lady and one of my biggest inspirations!!  Happy 75th Birthday Grandma.. I love you so much!

My favorite photo of my grandma and grandpa taken shortly after their wedding in 1956
 
 
Grandma going for a wagon ride with my kids this past Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment