Monday, November 4, 2013

Mavyn Moms and Pinup Pals: Angelique X Stacy

photo  by Dale Rio muah by myself
 
 
1. Tell me a little about your children (names/ages/fun facts)

I have a daughter about 2 ½ named Calliope. Calliope is the Greek Muse of epic poetry and writing. I also love the name as it is a steam powered keyboards you hear on the old riverboats, carousels and at the circus. Since there are circus folks on both sides of the family , we thought the name fit. She is quite amazing , musical and whip smart. I performed and modeled up until she was born. I think she may recognize songs I sang on stage!
 

2. How long have you been involved in the pin-up community/ taking pin-up photos?
I posed for my sister in law for her photography class right when I
graduated high school in 1992 and I was amazed by the results.
Previously I had modeled for shots for my dance company but that was or programs and press. I did get a sense of angles and lighting from stage work. Mostly how to use the spotlight for dramatic effect which I utilized in my stage performances.
I posed a lot for my former band’s (Venus Bleeding, T&A, Charm School Dropouts and Shadow Circus Vaudeville Theatre) album’s and promo shots in the late 1990's and early '00's. In one album called “Fakelore” we all dressed up as archetypes and icons, beautiful vampires and horror movie brides and I chose the Pinup. It was there I discovered that what you feel inside really shows on your face. I had a Betty Page look in ’99 and I was researching Marilyn Monroe for a conspiracy article. My expression was very Marilyn like as she was on my mind, yet my body shape and look was Betty.
photo by Larry Utley. MUAH by myself

  I would say my professional pinup career really started with Larry
Utley. He was looking to put out a book about corsets when I was
sitting in with a band called The Gun & Doll Show from San Francisco. He saw that I wore corsets regularly and gave me his card. The first shot I did with him made it in the book. This photo was passed unto other photographers that I admired and they contacted me to work with them as well. I have appeared in magazines all over the world from Maxim and Playboy to Marquis and Skin & Ink.

 Recently I stepped on the other side of the camera to shoot the
leader, Scarlet Shamrox, of the Kentucky Modified Dolls for our
charity calendar , it was lovely to wear comfortable clothes and pose someone and do their hair :) it also inspired me to want to do a
calendar of my own, which is now in the works of women with “invisible illnesses , like myself and raise awareness and donations for research.
photo by Larry Utley. MUAH by myself
 

3. How has being a pin-up affected your parenting?

I want my lil one to be her own person and make her own choices on how she would like to present herself. She loves to watch me put on makeup and she loves when I put on bright lipstick, I think by watching me she , as I did with my mother, she is learning the art of make up and being a character, which she loves to demonstrate by making faces in the mirror. She loves dress up and I think that somehow it was a saving grace as I went through my identity issues, to be able to have that dress up fun, it was a constant when the world was chaotic.
photo 1 by Larry Utley. MUAH by myself
I think that I am more conscious of how my presentation effects
others around me a little more and I am protective of my little one.
Before having a child I may take on more projects but with her I am learning to balance that part of my life and only take on projects
that have a positive angle to them.

4.  Has Pin-up brought any obstacles to your mom life?
 I lucked out here, as I am thankful for an online community of women who are also mothers, performers and models. Most of all I have a supportive partner who helps distract the little one when I am doing shoots. I have been lucky enough my last shoot came to my house so I only needed to get ready in my own bathroom and pose on my own steps. So far , so good. My mum life is my blessing and I have had many years and shoots before her, so I am okay with adjusting it for my mom needs. She gives me balance, something I didn't utilize before her.

photo by Charles Gatewood muah by myself

5. Tell me about the photos you chose to share... why are they your favorite?

These are my favourite as they are milestones in my modeling , working with photographers whose work I admire or a place that I love . They prove to me how tough I am and how I can persevere through my different abilities or lack of. They capture a moment in time where I felt confident.
Sketch of Angelique performing with Calliope by artist SuzanneForbes (DC Comics)

6. Do you have any words of wisdom to share with other pin-up moms out there, or maybe some ladies that are considering getting involved with pin-up?

Please be yourself! Each person has something really unique about
them, something that sets you apart from everyone else. Find that
special thing and go with it. Don't let things like weight or
conventional beauty standards hold you back! Besides wanting to bring attention to my other talents , modeling for me was about inspiration. When I received my first overseas letter from a fan who didn't realize that plus size girls could be fabulous, I knew I was on the right track. My motto “if I can do it, so can you!” could be adopted by others and help their self esteem. There is something for everyone and what some folks may consider “not attractive” can be someone else total standard of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment